Thursday, October 23, 2008

Can God Provide for our future?

The steps of a man are established by the Lord; and He delights in his way. When he falls, he shall not be hurled headlong; because the Lord is the One who holds his hand. I have been young and now I am old; yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken, or his descendants begging bread. All day long he is gracious and lends; and his descendants are a blessing. Psalm 37:23-26

I saw this picture on the internet and it brought images to my mind of small poor boys here in Guatemala City who stand in front of vehicles stopped at red lights juggling balls hoping that the occupants in the cars will give them some spare change or a Quetzal coin which at this time is worth about 14 cents. These boys certainly don't look like these folks in the picture in their suits probably trying to make a statement as to the economic condition of the U.S. and the stock market in particular.

Who can say that the people in these pictures in Guatemala are suffering anymore or any less than anyone else in the world but for sure they have felt the economic pressures for a long time and have felt like they have little or no control over their lives as they know it.

These boys who in most parts of the world would be in school are earning money to be able to eat by shining people's shoes. They probably don' t know that life can be any easier. That is what they have been used to.

I read that because of the economic measures taken in the U.S. we don't really know what problems we are leaving the generations to come. Some have even gone so far as to say that the life that awaits the coming generations will be less that what we are now experiencing.

Lately I read Psalms 71:17-18 : Oh God, you have taught me from my youth; and I still declare Your wondrous deeds. And even when I am old and gray, do not forsake me, until I declare Your strength to this generation, Your power to all that are to come.

Now that we have a grandson and another one on the way naturally I begin to think, what kind of life awaits these two grandsons as well as all the other grandchildren that will come eventually? Is God's hand too short that He cannot save this next generation? Is He still the God that doesn't change? As we allow the Lord to order our steps we will continue to see His strength in the generations to come. What a time to depend on the Lord. All other sources are falling around us. He is our strength!































No comments: